Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Market Updates: What they are and why they help you

On a weekly basis, I intend to provide readers of this blog with an insider's look at specific markets in the Bay Area. I focus these snapshot market updates on Palo Alto, Mountain View, and Sunnyvale. These are the towns I've had the most experience with, and the places where I currently work. My predictions can give you the insight you need to track the market or make an informed decision about what you're buying, where you're buying it, and when to finally pull out your wallet. 

I predict market movement based on the number of active listings in a given area, pending sales, and closed sales in the last week. By looking at these numbers in relationship to each other, as well as considering the selling prices and exact addresses of sold homes, I can usually come up with an accurate forecast for the short-term (and sometimes long-term) future of nearby housing prices. It's also a handy way to determine the length of time a house might sit on the market before being sold. 

The value of reading my market updates is at least twofold. First of all, they leave you armed with knowledge about your area (if you are a Palo Alto/Sunnyvale/Mountain View resident), which is always an invaluable asset. If you're a buyer considering a home in one of these areas, my market updates can keep you abreast of the market's trends and upcoming shifts (or plateaus). Finally, these market updates can help you make sense out of the real estate market around you. After reading enough, you'll be able to make your own predictions! 

If you have any questions pertaining to your market or real estate in general, I am always happy to answer anything. If you disagree with one of my market predictions, please, let me know! 

No comments: