Tuesday, October 12, 2010

BEST OF PALO ALTO # 2

Every year the Palo Alto Weekly releases their “Best of... List” and this year got me thinking, “What do my family and I consider the best places to eat and shop in Palo Alto?”  This is an an ongoing series about personal favorites in my city.


BEST STEAK


I don’t eat steak much anymore, but my son sure loves it.  So I had him fill in for me on this one.  He says...


“I can’t really vouch for Sundance (the Weekly’s pick) since I haven’t been there since I was about ten (when it was The Mining Company). But for the absolute, no-questions-asked, unbeatable best steak in Palo Alto, you’ll find it behind a counter at a deli in a mall.  I speak of course of the granddady of deliciousness, the one and only...Fred’s Steak at Schuab’s Meat and Poultry in the Stanford Shopping Center. 


Fred’s steak looks like it sat in the oven for about ten hours too long but fear not for its burnt appearance is merely a delectable ruse.  The secret recipe (which makes it look like a giant piece of coal) has been in the Bay Area since the late Fred Schuab himself started selling his “marinated sirloin” in Los Gatos in the fifties. 


And while a quick google search will turn up plenty of foodie-detectives trying to uncover the mystery of what makes the marinade so irresistible (Worcestershire?  Coffee?), nothing compares to the real thing...whatever it may be.”


-Dan


No comments: