Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Completed a Marathon and Raised $1800 for Breast Cancer.

Avon Breast Cancer Walk is now over! It was quite an experience.  



Here are my highlights.

   1. Raised $1839 for breast cancer research and treatment for those in need

       2.The walk on Sat started at Fort Funston and the opening ceremony was very touching.  I learned that every three minutes a someone is diagnosed with breast cancer. Not great news.

       3. There were 3800 walkers registered for this event and as of Sat they had raised 5 ½ million dollars.

       4. I walked over the Golden Gate Bridge twice without vomiting (I am afraid of heights).
       
      5. My favorite team was one called Save Second Base.  I also liked Hookers for Hooters and Dudes for Boobs.
        
       6. The markers were off. My Garman which is uses a GPS for measuring said I walked 27.75 miles. The markers for the walk said it was 26.2 miles.  The problem is that at 26.2 miles I was still ok. At 27 miles I was kind of pissed off and the last .75 miles were a killer!!  But I did it, and now I have accomplished my 30 year dream of completing a marathon, and did it for a great cause. Plus, instead of being in the back of the pack like I always am when I run, I was in the first 150 out of 3800 walkers to finish. 

      7. I'm not going back for the 13.1 mile second day walk. I don't want to blow my knees out!

No comments: