Friday, May 28, 2010

Zibibbo is closed?

I was walking around downtown Palo Alto yesterday and I noticed that the typically crowded Zibibbo is closed. Not sure if it's temporary or what, but it looked pretty permanent. Does anyone know anything about this?

I've always heard great things about Zibibbo--it has over three hundred reviews on Yelp (most of them positive) and a few years ago it was one of Gourmet Magazine's twenty best American restaurants. Which I guess doesn't mean so much anymore, considering Gourmet's sad fate earlier this spring.

Like Gourmet, Zibibbo may have just been too stranded in an earlier time--a time when people were willing to spend exorbitant amounts of money on dinner, when restaurant splurges weren't limited to special occasions. Whatever happened, it's sad to see that pretty restaurant with dark windows.

What do you think about Zibibbo closing? And didn't Spago, another expensive (Wolfgang Puck I believe) downtown restaurant close recently too?

I wonder what the closing of these high-end restaurants says about the real estate market, and Palo Alto's economy in general.

No comments: