Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Best of Palo Alto #2

Every year the Palo Alto Weekly releases their “Best of... List” and this year got me thinking, “What do my family and I consider the best places to eat and shop in Palo Alto?”  This is an an ongoing series about personal favorites in my city.


BEST COFFEE



This is an easy one -- Philz Coffee on Middlefield in midtown.  And while I know it gets a lot of flak (Long waits, pricey cups, no lattes, it’s not Le Creme) let me just say this, “some things are worth the wait, and the price.”


Yes, three dollars is more than a cup of coffee at Starbucks.  Yes, you’re going to have to wait much longer than you would for something from a coffee pot at 7-11, but there is a reason this place has consistently been voted “The best coffee” in San Francisco...It’s.  Absolutely.  Fantastic.  Coffee.



Philz brews its coffee one cup at a time, using a neat filtering system that’s as fun to watch as it is to taste (okay, drinking it is more fun).  And although the wait is longer than at other places, the baristas are all extremely friendly and coffee-knowledgable, so the time passes right on by.

No comments: